Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Home > Census instructions > Overseas students

Overseas students

For the purposes of the Census, an overseas student includes:

As of 1 July 2016, the Student visa subclass is 500.

Note: The visa subclasses 570 to 576, issued before 1 July 2016, will remain valid until the expiry date given when the visa was granted.

Schools with overseas students on a subclass 500 visa, or a 571 visa subclass issued before 1 July 2016, are required to be registered as a provider of courses for overseas students on CRICOS.

Students are required to be recorded on the Commonwealth’s Provider Registration and International Students Management System (PRISMS). Schools do this by the issuing of a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at the time when an offer of enrolment is made. The student will submit the CoE to the DIBP to apply for their Student visa.

For the purposes of the Census, overseas students do not include:

Information on condition of any visa subclass can be found at Department of Home Affairs.

Exchange students

Exchange students are school-aged students participating in a secondary student exchange program with an exchange organisation that is registered by the Department. Schools can differentiate exchange students from FFPOSs through their enrolment under an Acceptance Advice for Secondary Exchange Students (AASES). Secondary student exchange programs do not involve payment of tuition fees, and are not more than 12 months in duration. The programs are part of a reciprocal arrangement that allows an overseas student to attend a Queensland secondary school on a full-time basis and a Queensland student to attend an overseas secondary school on a full-time basis.

Note: Exchange students, like FFPOSs, will have a subclass 500 Student visa.

Exchange students are to be included as regular students if, immediately prior to the exchange, they were active in a classroom primary, secondary or special education program at a school which contributes to a Year 12 (or equivalent) certificate in their own country.

Recurrent grants cannot be paid in respect of a person who has completed their formal schooling in their own country.

Students on a short-term cultural visit (for example, students in Australia on a Tourist or Visitor’s visa for less than three months on a study tour, or in Australia for intensive English classes) are not eligible to be included in the Census.

Students to be excluded

Overseas students should only be included in the Overseas students section of the Census form, and should be excluded from all other sections.

The following students are not classed as overseas students and should be included as regular students in the other sections of the Census form:


Click on the link to watch a short vodcast explaining 'Overseas and Exchange Students'.

Last updated 30 January, 2019

On this page