Students on Visitor visas, Bridging visas with study limitations, or no visa
Students who are on certain temporary visas, which limit their study, or ‘No visa’ students, should be included in this section.
This may include:
- a child on a Visitor visa which may allow them to study for a limited period of time.
- a child on a Bridging visa where the substantive Visitor visa issued is still valid.
Note: Where a child’s Visitor visa has expired, the student is then classified according to the bridging visa status.
- a child on a Bridging visa where the visa has a limitation to study.
- a child without a visa who may be accommodated in a community-based detention program or other community housing and attending a non-State school while their visa (for example, Bridging or Safe-haven visa) is being processed (previously 'No visa' students).
Please note that students on a Visitor visa can enrol at any school during their stay on that visa, but must transfer to a CRICOS-registered school should they wish to continue studying on a Student visa. They can remain at a non CRICOS-registered school, if they are applying for a residency visa and hold a bridging visa until their residency visa application is decided.
The students listed above should only be included in the Students on visitor visas, bridging visas with study limitations or no visa section of the Census form, and should be excluded from all other sections.
The following students on visas are not classed as 'Students on visitor visas, bridging visas with study limitations or no visa' and should be included as regular full-time or part-time students in the full-time or part-time sections of the Census form:
- Australian citizens
- permanent residents of Australia;
- New Zealand and Norfolk Islander passport holders;
- temporary visa holders on a visa that permits them to attend regular daily schooling without a limit to study;
- persons excluded from being an overseas student as per section 6 of the Australian Education Regulation 2013.
Please also refer to Overseas students in these Instructions for information on students who are only to be included in the Overseas students section of the Census form.
Last updated 28 January, 2021